- Give one enlightenment idea or phrase found in the Declaration of Independence.
- ALL MEN CREATED EQUAL
- LAWS OF NATURE
- SOCIAL CONTRACT
- SELF-EVIDENT TRUTHS
- There were three Enlightenment philosophers mentioned in the first section of the reading — name one.
- Jean Jacques Rousseau said that rulers have a social _________ with the people, meaning that they owe the people to do what is best for the people.
- A Christian believes that the Bible is true, whereas a _______ believes only the non-miraculous parts of the Bible are true.
- What philosopher wrote about women’s rights?
- MARY WOLLSTONECRAFT
- BONSU: This was the “old regime” or “old system” that the Enlightenment philosophers wrote against.
- ANCIEN REGIME
- This individual was the first tsar of Russia.
- Ivan the Great
- This individual was a Catholic monk who wrote an important document and nailed it on a church door in 1517, thus starting the Protestant Reformation.
- Martin Luther
- The European re-inventor of the printing press which allowed for books to be mass produced and sold at low cost.
- What was the name of #2’s famous document?
- 95 Theses
- T or F: Peter the Great imported printing presses to Russia in his efforts to modernize his nation.
- T or F: Those who cared deeply about the Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation were hardcore humanists.
- BONSU: Which nation was the first to discover an alternative route to Asia by rounding Africa?
- Here is the AoW. Your 250-word response is due Friday. If you type it, make sure you will be able to finish typing at some point this week on your own time.
- Read and study sections 4 and 6 of the binder textbook. Be ready to be quizzed tomorrow.
- What is the more common name used today for the region Columbus called the West Indies?
- What was one plant, animal, or pathogen that traveled from the “old world” to the “new world” after Columbus?
- See textbook or image
- BONSU: What was one thing that went the other way?
- See textbook or image
- What is another word for “indigenous”?
- The “conquerors” from Spain, such as Cortez and Pizarro were called what? (They wiped out the Aztec and Inca)
- What “product” was traveling from West Africa to the Americas in the Triangular Trade Route?
- Slaves, people
- What was one product that traveled from the ‘Mericas to Europe in the TTR?
- Cotton, tobacco, sugar
- BONSU: Why was it Europe that ended up making the voyages of discovery and not the Ming or the Muslims (pick one)?
- Ming: They decided to isolate and stop voyages of Zheng He
- Muslims: They were devastated by the Mongols when they sacked Baghdad
Here is what I put on the board to explain the Mongols essay:
Read this article for the next 30 minutes (max). Then, write your AoW response for the week.
Response Options (250 words minimum):
- Do you think Elon Musk will achieve his goals for human settlement of Mars? Explain.
- Would you partake in such a journey? Explain.
- Choose any passage and respond to it.
Get at ’em, tigers!
|1066 – Norman Conquest of England
1095 – First Crusade
1206 – Genghis Khan begins Mongol conquest
1258 – Mongols sack Baghdad
1271-95 – Marco Polo’s travels
1279 – Mongols take over China – start of Yuan dynasty
1324 – Mansa Musa’s hajj
1347-48 – Black Death ravages Europe
1368 – Start of Mighty Ming dynasty in China
|1405-33 – Zheng He’s voyages for the Ming
1429 – Joan of Arc kicks butt at Battle of Orleans
1438 – Rise of Inca Empire
1453 – Ottomans capture Constantinople, turn it into Istanbul
1480s – Height of Aztec Empire
1492 – Columbus “discovers” New World
1522 – Magellan’s voyage circumnavigates the globe
1595 – Shakespeare writes Romeo and Juliet